I have always loved this dish for its simplicity, flexibility and it turns white cabbage into something delicious. Side Dish – Main Dish make it yours!
- 1 tbsp Ghee/ Vegetable Oil/ Sesame Oil?
- 1 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 White cabbage
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pinch of turmeric
- Spices of your choice e.g.chilli, garam masala, ginger
- Make sure all your ingredients are prepped and you are ready to go – and I suggest wear an apron as the mustard seeds do pop all over the place.
- Heat up the oil and add the mustard seeds
- As soon as they pop add all the spices of your choice stir quickly and add the shredded cabbage and stir well so they are well mixed a beautiful vibrant yellow colour
- You are not really cooking these more like stir frying it so it is hot, so it will retain a lovely crunch to it which is part of the loveliness of this recipe.
- Extra grated veggies if you like such as carrots, courgettes, shredded beans, etc.
Variations and Tips
- I eat this with a chapati/paratha and some greek yoghurt and some fresh raw vegetables and a pickle.
- By all means use red cabbage as well or mix both, I love using the white cabbage as I love the vibrance that the yellow turmeric creates – and as I eat it I can just imagine it wrapping itself around by grateful stomach imparting all its goodness to my organs.
- Please make whatever tweaks you need according to your dietary needs or allergies, like all my recipes look at them as a guide not necessarily a prescriptive list of directions.