I am intrigued by all types of food and so I began looking at raw food and raw food diets – my personal opinion is that raw food has a place in our diet – however a solely raw diet is not for everyone. I think that a varied diet is really important so that each of our senses is always challenged and kept interested – liquid diets of juices and soups is good for a short time – however it makes our digestive system, saliva glands, taste buds and teeth lazy and bored. A lazy digestive system means we are not physically engaged in what we are eating so we do not process all the nutrients from the food in the most optimum
Now raw chocolate – that intrigued me chocolate that was good for you! I came across the website www.chocchick.com and they sell small kits that allowed me to experiment with raw chocolate.
- 50 g Cacao Butter
- 3 tbsp Raw Cacao Powder
- Squeeze of Agave/Rice Syrup or honey
- Handful of chopped pistachio nuts dried dates, and figs.
- Melt the cocao butter in a Bain Marie – basically a saucepan filled with water with a heat proof bowl on the top, make sure the water does not touch the bowl.
- The smell of the cocoa butter is heavenly and “is” the smell of chocolate I always thought it was the sugar and vanilla.
- Once the butter has melted carefully take it off the heat add a pinch of salt, a squeeze of the agave syrup to taste and the cacao butter and then stir in your chosen flavourings.
- Then just pop into your chosen moulds and pop into the freezer – find something to distract you for about 5-10 minutes and then they are ready.
- I have experimented with different nuts, a pinch of chilli, but I love that the dates or figs mean that you don’t need to add so much sugar as they are already sweet.
- The chocolates have a very low melting point so you may have to keep them in the fridge in an air tight container so they don’t melt – and they do taste better at room temperature but they are so moreish and yummy!
- Lakeland sell some great little bags and ribbon or boxes if you want to make them as gifts – however they just never last long enough in our house!
I will post pictures – if I can stop my family eating it long enough to get a picture!!!